CARTIF is a horizontal, private and non-profit Research Institution, whose main mission is providing innovative solutions to the industry to enhance their processes, systems and products, improving their competitiveness and creating new business opportunities.
CARTIF develops R&D projects financed by private companies or through public funds obtained from competitive calls at national and international level. CARTIF also supports public entities (city councils, regional governments…) on high impact projects planning and development.
CARTIF is a multidisciplinary centre that works in multiple knowledge fields focused to many economic sectors: energy, food, industry, construction and infrastructures, health and environment, addressing research lines oriented to the main societal challenges, as industry 4.0, smart grids, smart cities, energy efficiency, cultural heritage, quality of life, circular economy, natural resources and biotechnology.
CARTIF has an analytical testing laboratory the offers analysis services to the centre and to other companies by means of a wide offer that includes 3D digitalization, biomass characterization, food biotechnology and material nanotechnology
CARTIF in figures
- International projects 51% 51%
- National and regional 7% 7%
- Business 39% 39%
- Own research 3% 3%
Total projects in main international programmes
103 Projects (21 coordinated)
20 Projects (5 coordinated)
24 Projects (16 coordinated)
34 Projects (8 coordinated)
Staff (47 PhD)
Goal, Vision and Values
Being an international benchmark in applied research, technological development and innovation of processes, products and systems characterized by offering a set of comprehensive multidisciplinary solutions. These solutions have a high impact on society, business networks and university, due to their capacity for anticipation and their systematic interaction with society
The results achieved in our fields of research, defined in close collaboration with the university, the high creative capacity and the systematic multidisciplinary collaboration, make possible to provide technological development and innovation comprehensive services to internationally recognized companies.
CARTIF participates in strategic alliances with companies and reference technology centres, allowing scientific exchange of researchers and leading international projects. We have scientific committees in which external researchers of recognized prestige participate.
New knowledge and results are disseminated in international prestigious forums and publications. Methodology is applied to protect results and knowledge, as well as to transfer and exploit them, considering industry interests.
EXCELLENCE: Search for the highest quality in all the activities carried out to be perceived as a benchmark both by the organization itself and by the rest of society.
SUSTAINABILITY: Development of the organization in order to satisfy current needs without compromising its continuity. All this made with a clear focus on Corporate Social Responsibility and contribution to the Environment.
ENTHUSIASM AND CREATIVITY: Behaviour of the group with a high level of involvement and motivation. Capacity to generate ideas and initiatives.
COMMITMENT TO REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Promote sustainable development in the Region to improve the quality of life and increase its competitive capacity.
Significant Environmental Aspects
In the annual evaluation of environmental aspects of the year 2020 in CARTIF, we highlight the significant fuel consumption and the production of hazardous waste. The significant index, resulting from the assessment of environmental aspects, was 20.72, compared to 22.80 in 2019, as a result of the increase in the amount of executed projects. The improvement objectives for 2021 include the reduction of consumption and production of these two significant aspects.
Integrated Management System Policy
The CARTIF DIRECTION, in order to achieve a high level of quality in all activities in the Center, so as to satisfy the needs and expectations of its customers and/or stakeholders (University, Region, Scientific, Industrial and Business Community) is committed:
- Establish, maintain and continuously improve the Integrated Management System (SIGMAQ) throughout CARTIF, ensuring that activities are conducted in accordance with the UNE-EN ISO 9001, EN ISO 14001, EN ISO / IEC 17025, UNE 166002 y UNE-EN ISO 14006, taking into account the requirements set by customers and stakeholders, as well as legislative, regulatory and contractual requirements.
- Establish process management based on the continuous analysis of the environment, in which all the stakeholders are be taken into account. In addition, this management will be oriented to the market, and will take advantage of all existing knowledge from CARTIF. This will serve to identify the main forces present and which ones are of the greatest importance, allowing a deep knowledge of the goals, objectives and plans that pursues, to improve the competitive position of the organization.
- Promote the necessary aspects to obtain the desired quality level.
- Collaborate with all the stakeholders to obtain their satisfaction.
- Provide human and technical resources.
- Disseminate information about the SIGMAQ and help the staff to become familiar with such documentation.
- Promote implementation of policy and procedures.
- Encourage self-evaluation as a tool for continuous improvement.
- Develop and apply technologies and methodologies to facilitate the improvement of the business competitiveness, exploiting the existing body of scientific-technical knowledge and providing integral solutions to them.
- Make R+D+i in areas of common interest to stakeholders, consolidating CARTIF as research unit.
- Use education and training of researchers as a lever to improve skills and performance of the R+D+i activities.
- Collect and act as a diffuser element of the current state of knowledge in each of the R+D+i areas.
- Exploit and adequately protect the R+D+i results.
- Comply with all applicable legal requirements.
The CARTIF DIRECTION AND STAFF undertake the conservation of natural resources based on the following principles for action on environment:
- Identify and evaluate environmental issues associated with life cycle processes, activities and operations developed by CARTIF, improve continuously avoiding the transfer of impacts of one life cycle stage to another and prevent pollution.
- Consider the environmental aspects associated with the life cycle of products, processes and services designed or redesigned within the projects developed by CARTIF. Working on improving the same, minimizing their environmental impact, considering the whole life cycle and preventing the transfer of environmental impacts from one stage to another.
- Comply with environmental laws and applicable regulations to the processes, activities and operations carried out by CARTIF throughout the life cycle of these as well as other requirements to which CARTIF commits.
- Use environmentally friendly products in the development of all its activities.
- Inform and train CARTIF staff in aspects related to the environmental protection.
- Analyze and improve its practices and processes in the light of technological advances, of the new safety conditions and environmental science, aimed at preventing and minimizing adverse impacts on all areas of the environment.
- Provide accurate and transparent information about the environmental performance of the center to customers, partners, governments and other stakeholders.
QUALITY AND ENVIRONMENT (ISO 9001 and 14001 certified by AENOR)
Its scope includes carrying out applied research and technological innovation activities, scientific-technical dissemination in the areas of Chemical and Food Engineering and Technology; Industrial technology (industrial equipment, industrial machinery, maintenance engineering and manufacturing process engineering); Instrumentation technology (automation technology, robotics, control engineering, electro-optical devices, home automation and artificial vision); Materials technology (material properties, material testing, behavior and coatings simulation); Energy technology (non-conventional sources of energy: solar, geothermal, biomass and biofuels); Environmental Engineering and Technology (industrial waste, pollution engineering and water regeneration); Biomedical Technology and Information and Communication Technologies; Analysis of atmospheric emissions and physical-chemical analysis of continental and waste waters; Physical-chemical analysis and physical-mechanical tests of materials and the provision of technological services to companies.
R+D+I (ISO 166002 certificate by AENOR)
Research, development and innovation in Chemical and Food Engineering and Technology (antioxidants in food, solid liquid extraction, chemistry of organic natural products); Industrial Technology (industrial equipment, industrial machinery, maintenance engineering and manufacturing process engineering); Instrumentation Technology (automation technology, robotics, control engineering, electro-optical devices, home automation and artificial vision); Materials Technology (material properties, material testing, behavior and coatings simulation); Energy Technology (non-conventional sources of energy: solar, geothermal, biomass and biofuels); Environmental Engineering and Technology (industrial waste, pollution engineering and water regeneration); Biomedical Technology (physiological and robotic surgery and rehabilitation systems modelling); Information and Communication Technologies (radiocommunications and communication networks).
ECODESIGN (UNE-EN ISO 14006 certified)
The scope of this certificate includes the integration of environmental aspects in the design and development of the product with the aim of reducing adverse environmental impacts throughout its life cycle. This certification implies that at CARTIF we offer added value in all our projects, we ensure the sustainability of the products and production processes of the projects we carry out, taking into account their entire life cycle, from conception and design to elimination and / or or recycling, through Life Cycle Analysis. Furthermore, we are involved in communicating the Ecodesign guidelines to stakeholders and participating agents in each phase of the project cycle with designs in which we participate.