We offer our knowledge and ITC tools to support the design and maintenance of new buildings and energy efficient retrofitting projects, nearly zero-energy buildings and Positive Energy Districts (PEDs). To this aim we integrate innovative technologies to model, characterize and propose advanced and holistic solutions that combine the most promising technologies (passive and active) available in the market.
Our ICT developments allow us to manage buildings more efficiently, through the modelling and digitalization of their information, and implement advanced control strategies to optimize the use of energy while improving the indoor comfort conditions.
We energy audit existing buildings, analyse the energy consumption and propose measures to improve their energy efficiency and indoor comfort conditions.
- Research in advance and intelligent strategies for the management, operation and maintenance of buildings based in AI/ML/DL for the generation of decision support systems.
- Application of digital enabling technologies for the improvement of buildings sustainability and intelligence.
- Building digitalization and generation of digital twins.
- Application of blockchain technology in the energy area.
Networks and Platforms
- A.SPIRE: A.SPIRE.
- ECTP: European Construction Technology Platform.
- EFFRA: European Factories of the Future Research Association.
- ISES: International Solar Energy Society.
- MANUFUTURE: MANUFUTURE.
- García-Fuentes, M.Á.; Álvarez, S.; Serna, V.; Pousse, M.; Meiss, A. “Integration of Prioritisation Criteria in the Design of Energy Efficient Retrofitting Projects at District Scale: A Case Study” Sustainability 2019, 11, 3861. DOI: 10.3390/su11143861.
- García-Fuentes, M.Á.; Serna, V.; Hernández, G.; Meiss, A. An Evaluation Framework to Support Optimisation of Scenarios for Energy Efficient Retrofitting of Buildings at the District Level. Appl. Sci. 2019, 9, 2448. DOI: 10.3390/app9122448.
- García-Fuentes M.Á., Hernández G., Serna V., Martín S., Álvarez S., Lilis G.N., Giannakis G., Katsigarakis K., Mabe L., Oregi X., Manjarres D., El Ridouane H., De Tommasi L.,”OptEEmAL: Decision-support tool for the design of energy retrofitting projects at district level”, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Central Europe towards Sustainable Building (CESB19), Prague, Czech Republic, Volume 290 012129, July 2-4, 2019. DOI: 10.1088/1755-1315/290/1/012129.
- Martín S., Serna V.I., Álvarez S., García M.Á., Hernández G., Sicilia A., Costa G., “OptEEmAL: IT-Supported design tool for the generation of optimised energy retrofitting scenarios at district level”, 2019 European Conference on Computing in Construction (EC3 2019), Chania, Crete, Greece, July 10-12, 2019, pp. 246 – 255. DOI: 10.35490/EC3.2019.169.
- Sanz, R. & Álvarez-Díaz, Sonia & Valmaseda, Cesar & Rovas, Dimitrios. (2018). Automatic development of Building Automation Control Network (BACN) using IFC4-based BIM models. DOI: 10.1201/9780429506215-28.
- Hernández, J.L., Martín Lerones, P.; Bonsma, P., van Delft, A., Deighton, R., Braun, J.D. (2018). “An IFC Interoperability Framework for Self-Inspection Process in Buildings”. Buildings, 8, 32. DOI: 10.3390/buildings8020032.
- Hernández, J.L., Sanz, R., Corredera, Á., Palomar, R., Lacave, I. (2018). “A Fuzzy-Based Building Energy Management System for Energy Efficiency”. Buildings, 8(2), 14. DOI: 10.3390/buildings8020014.
- Corredera, Alvaro & Macía, Andrés & Sanz, Roberto & Hernandez, Jose. (2016). An automated monitoring system for surveillance and KPI calculation. 1-6. DOI: 10.1109/EESMS.2016.7504806.
- S. Martin, J. Hernandez and C. Valmaseda, “A novel middleware for smart grid data exchange towards the energy efficiency in buildings,” 2015 International Conference and Workshops on Networked Systems (NetSys), Cottbus, 2015, pp. 1-8. DOI: 10.1109/NetSys.2015.7089063.
Ali Vasallo Belver
Head of Energy Division
Susana Martín Toral
Head of Energy Efficiency Area
SMARTeeSTORY will create an integrated intelligent building automation and control system to monitor and optimise the energy performance of historic non-residential buildings, according to an innovative multi-domain approach (integrating the 9 domains proposed by the ISR methodology).
FoSSIS3 objective is to develop an operational Platform based on artificial intelligence to support decision-making in the energy planning process, through the characterization and estimation of the solar resources, and the development of analytics that support the strategy to improve the energy behavior of the building sector.
BuildOn pretends to develop a generic solution and highly replicable to offer services on buildings, facilitate the integration of their systems and technologies and with it, help to construct a new generation of smart buildings.
ENFLATE applies technologies on data-driven energy and non-energy services, which it will replicate in different geographies and climates, considering different consumer needs.
DigiBUILD overview is to provide an open, interoperable, cloud-based toolbox to transform buildings from traditional `silos´ into interoperable, smarter, digital buildings based on consistent and reliable data
DEDALUS will design, develop and demonstrate micro (home/flat) and macro (building and district) participatory demand response ecosystems in multiple energy vector systems and with a social and human science based approach
The main objective of MATRYCS is to define and deploy a Reference Architecture for Buildings Data exchange, management and real-time processing, and to translate this reference architecture into an Open, Cloud-based Data Analytics Toolbox. It will enable AI-based cross-sector analytics for smart energy-efficient buildings, based on seamless data-information-knowledge exchange under respective sovereignty and regulatory principles.
PROBONO brings together a European multidisciplinary consortium of 47 partners, to turn the six European districts into Green Building Neighbourhoods, with positive energy balance and zero carbon emissions: two large-scale demonstrators and four living labs representing business/owner promoters of the green buildings and neighbourhoods transition.
BD4NRG envisions to confront big data management challenges for the energy sector, giving a competitive edge to the European stakeholders to improve decision making and at the same time to open new market opportunities.
EnergyChain goal is to use Blockchain to develop a system that will support the energy exchange between prosumers without the need of a central entity in charge of the managing.