The Smart Grid area does research and develops optimal control systems to manage hybridised, distributed microgrids. These systems allow the optimal combination of renewable energy and energy storage in batteries. We also work on the integration of thermal and electric grids.
We develop systems to manage demand flexibility featured by some domestic and industrial devices and processes. These systems allow the generation of ancillary services with no utility or comfort loss that can be marketed, enabling customers to participate actively in electricity markets.
To enhance the systems mentioned, we work on prosumer communities energy production and demand forecasting, as well as on battery models and digital twins.
- Research in advance control algorithms for the optimal planification of hybrid energy grids (sector couplling), distributed and with storage.
- Research in control algoriths for the flexibility demand, demand response and its participation in markets.
- Research in algorithms for the observability and reconfiguration of the electric grid (resilience).
- Research in tools for the management of energy communities.
- Research in advance and intelligent strategies for the management, operation and maintenance of buildings based in AI/ML/DL for the generation of support decision making systems.
Networks and Platforms
Ali Vasallo Belver
Head of Energy Division
Sergio Saludes Rodil
Head of Smart Grids Area
HPC Ongrid project collaborates with Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy (SGRE) in the develop and programming of different components of a hybrid generation plant controller.