Natural Resources and Climate
Natural Resources and Climate Area has as its main mission the research and development of processes and technologies that contribute to the sustainable management of Natural Resources and to the improvement and protection of the Environment, paying special attention to those aspects that help to alleviate climate change effects.
Researchers from this area contribute to the scientific understanding of the planet and the beings that inhabit it, studying the structure and functioning of nature and promoting sustainability in the use of its resources.
- Research into water purification solutions using soft technologies (water biofilters) and sustainable drainage systems.
- Research in techniques of water sustainable use and recovery processes.
- Research in techniques and technologies of renaturalization of industrial and household spaces (inside and outside).
- Development of natural solutions for the improvement of air quality (inside/outside).
- Research in forestal management through quantification of ecosystemic services of forest stands and their action facing climate change.
- Development of decontamination (mainly NOX removal) and potabilisation processes (trihalomethanes, radionucleides,etc.)
- Research in new systems and improvement of crops.
- Research in bioproducts (biofertilizers, biostimulants and biopesticides) with agrifood origen.
- Research in bio-phyto remediation of degraded soils through ecological restoration, metal recovery (bio-mining),etc.
- Research in soil restoration solutions, sustrates formulation, technosoils, amendments and composting processes.
Networks and Platforms
- AIF: Asociación Ibérica de la Fotocatálisis.
- EERA: European Energy Research Alliance.
- EIP-Raw Materials: EIP on Raw Materials. Commitments MetGrow & C&D-WRAM (Action Area I.4 & I.5 respectivamente).
- EIP-Water: EIP on Water Action Group on Water reuse and recycling (ID AG045).
- JPI CH: National Consultation Panel para la JPI Cultural Heritage and Global Change.
- Hidalgo, D. (2019). Sistemas dinámicos de medición de emisiones: el proyecto LIFE GySTRA y la tecnología RSD. Revista Carreteras. 1, 1-8. ISSN: 0212-6389.
- M. Gómez, N. Martín, I. Rodriguez, F.J. Martínez, J.L. Casas, G. Rivas (2019). Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA: tratamientos sostenibles para eliminar la radioactividad natural del agua. RETEMA (Revista Tecnica del Medio Ambiente), 212, 112-116. ISSN:1130-9881.
- Rozanska M. K., Del Vecchio M., Sánchez R. (2018) Metodología para re-naturalización de las ciudades, España. CONAMA 2018. ISBN de las actas del congreso: 978-84-09-07670-3.
- R. Marrs, J. Rasal, R. Sánchez, L. Connor, S. Blackbird, R. Rose, Rewilding the uplands: the effects of removing sheep grazing on soils and plants. Aspects of Applied Biology 139, 2018. Ecosystem and Habitat Management: Research, Policy, Practice.
Alberto Moral Quiza
Head of Agrifood & Processes Division
Raúl Sánchez Francés
Head of Natural Resources Area
InvestCEC will develop a pelicable model to implement circular economy projects in cities and regions of all Europe, taking into account all the interested relevant parts.
S4UG is a feasibility study that pretends to demonstrate the technical and commercial feasibility of the services based on the observation of the Earth that addresses the design, planification and management of the urban green infrastructure.
K-HEALTHinAIR busca evaluar la calidad del aire interior en 9 diferentes escenarios representativos a nivel europeo en base a una campaña de monitorización de parámetros físicos, químicos y biológicos. El estudio se llevará a cabo en 5 pilotos diferentes distribuidos por toda Europa: Barcelona, Rotterdam, Baden-Wurtemberg, Polonia/Austria y Noruega.
SUPERA project is based on increasing and improving the knowledge of the mechanisms of action of RNAi in the framework of plant health, thus boosting agricultural productivity and environmentally friendly forest health. Environmental RNAi refers to the uptake of RNAs from the environment that can induce systemic gene silencing in the organism.
The project focuses on boosting the biotechnology activity in the agroindustry in Turkey, from the farm to the agro company, throughout knowledge, technologies and new products arising from the creation of a research and innovation centre focused in the agrogenomic study of animals and plants
Adaptation to the climate change through the prevention and management of the landscape exposed to huge forestry fires in cross-border rural areas between Spain and Portugal.
Agricultural side streams-olives, wine, chicory and onions- are rich in bioactive compounds (BAC) and have antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. Their full potential has yet to be realised, due to a lack of technologies that preserve the complexity and functionality of these BAC.
NEMO aims to create a turn-key solution through which new systems are integrated into existing infrastructure to empirically measure emissions and noise emitted by individual vehicles
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
The project seeks competitive positioning of regional companies in the field of Nature Based Solutions (NBS).