The SUPERA project is based on increasing and improving the knowledge of the mechanisms of action of RNAi in the framework of plant health, thus boosting agricultural productivity and environmentally frindly forest health. Environmental RNAi refers to the uptake of RNAs from the environment that can induce systemic gene silencing in the organism.
SUPERA will work on optimising this strategy, with a special focus on the stability and delivery of dsRNAs against several major fungal (Fusarium circinatum, Fusarium graminearum) and oomycete (Phytophthora cinnamomi, Phytophthora capsici) plant pathogens that cause major economic losses in forests (pine,oak), cereals (wheat, barley) and horticultural crops (tomato, pepper, bean, cucumber). These host plants are economically relevant in Spain and other countries both in terms of production and consumption, and are also associated with social, environmental and cultural values.
SUPERA aims to evolve this technology from TRL2-3 to TRL4.
- Design specific RNA fragments for gene silencing based on essential metabolic or virulence pathways.
- Optimise the in vivo dsRNA production strategy using genetically modified bacteria.
- Evaluate dsRNA stabilisation methods in order to optimise their bioavailability in plant and soil.
- Test the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of dsRNA uptake by the four main pathogens.
- Develop trials under greenhouse conditions to confirm the efficacy of the new products.
- Evaluate the influence of the new products on the microbiome of agricultural soils.
- Develop a plan to generate benefits from the results and knowledge created during the project.
- Definition of the requirements for the development of bioproducts (selection of gene targets, characterisation of the formulation process).
- Biological testing at laboratory level (fermentation optimisation, CLSM analysis, RT-qPCR, sequencing).
- Purification of dsRNA, stabilisation by encapsulation and quality control.
- Process validation at laboratory and greenhouse scale (formulation development, pilot testing at TRL4).
- Product positioning within EU regulatory frameworks.
- Exploitation of the acquired results.
- New approach to friendly plant protection strategies based on RNAi technologies.
- Development of advanced engineered bacterial strains as an in vivo dsRNA production system against plant pathogenic fungi and oomycetes.
- Optimisation of fermentation conditions and purification strategies to obtain high quality dsRNAs.
- Optimisation of the stability of dsRNAs by inclusion in nanoparticles that can be applied to soil and plant against root and vascular pathogens.
- Development of new dsRNA-based products for use in horticultural crops (tomato, pepper, bean, cucumber) cereals (wheat, barley) and forestry (pine, oak).
- Identification of the main formulation requirements of the new products for their application in plants, according to current European legislation.
R&D projects in Strategic Lines
Total Budget: 543,731.64€
CARTF Contribution: 245,382€
Duration: 01/11/2021 – 01/11/2024
José Mª Sanz
Division of Agrifood and Processes
Climate and Natural Resources projects:
Recovery of metal oxides present in the cathode of electric vehicle battery cells by means of hydrometallurgical and direct recycling processes.
Innovation in rapid methods for the detection of biomarkers of interest in agri-food, environmental health and biomedicine
Las líneas de investigación de CARTIF en calidad de aire interior y mejora de la calidad alimentaria buscan ir un paso más allá en las capacidades analíticas y experiencia que se tienen actualmente para trabajar en aplicaciones dentro de los sectores de la salud ambiental, la agroalimentación y la biomedicina.
The Regions4Climate project aims to collaboratively develop and demosntrate a socially-just transititon to climate resilience. Based on cross-sectoral roadmaps developed together with regional stakeholders.
CIRAWA will boost the implementation of agro-ecology in West Africa, thus facilitating the transition to a more sustainable food system.
InvestCEC will develop a pelicable model to implement circular economy projects in cities and regions of all Europe, taking into account all the interested relevant parts.
S4UG is a feasibility study that pretends to demonstrate the technical and commercial feasibility of the services based on the observation of the Earth that addresses the design, planification and management of the urban green infrastructure.
K-HEALTHinAIR busca evaluar la calidad del aire interior en 9 diferentes escenarios representativos a nivel europeo en base a una campaña de monitorización de parámetros físicos, químicos y biológicos. El estudio se llevará a cabo en 5 pilotos diferentes distribuidos por toda Europa: Barcelona, Rotterdam, Baden-Wurtemberg, Polonia/Austria y Noruega.
The project focuses on boosting the biotechnology activity in the agroindustry in Turkey, from the farm to the agro company, throughout knowledge, technologies and new products arising from the creation of a research and innovation centre focused in the agrogenomic study of animals and plants
Adaptation to the climate change through the prevention and management of the landscape exposed to huge forestry fires in cross-border rural areas between Spain and Portugal.
Agricultural side streams-olives, wine, chicory and onions- are rich in bioactive compounds (BAC) and have antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. Their full potential has yet to be realised, due to a lack of technologies that preserve the complexity and functionality of these BAC.
NEMO aims to create a turn-key solution through which new systems are integrated into existing infrastructure to empirically measure emissions and noise emitted by individual vehicles
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
The project seeks competitive positioning of regional companies in the field of Nature Based Solutions (NBS).
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
RBAN GreenUP objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
SUSTRA-TEC has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The Life-EQUINOX project has developed a new method that allows asphalt roads to “capture” NOx in the atmosphere, thanks to a chemical reaction that uses solar radiation and titanium dioxide.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.