DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNOLOGICAL SUSTRATES WITH SELF-FERTILIZING CAPACITY AND ATMOSPHERIC CONTAMINANTS CAPTATION (SUSTRA-TEC) has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
These techno-soils have been obtained by the valorization of sludge from wastewater treatment plants and other agro-food industry residues inoculated with encapsulated nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Thanks to encapsulation, these bacteria are released gradually, allowing the colonization of the substrate and an increment of microbial activity.
- Design and develop new innovative technological substrates
- To valorize waste from urban and industrial water treatment plants, and agri-food waste.
- Obtain new substrates with the capacity to sequestrate atmospheric pollutants and with self-fertilising capacity.
- Implementation of new bacterial encapsulation technologies in the substrate sector.
- Selection of raw materials for highest yield.
- Development of new technological substrates.
- Development and validation of an encapsulation methodology.
- Agro-environmental analysis of substrates with bacteria.
- Evaluation of self-fertilizing capacity.
- Produce different technological substrates with suitable characteristics for the crop.
- Develop a methodology of encapsulation of edaphic bacteria and teste the stability in substrates with different edaphoclimatic conditions.
- Prove that the growth of plants in greenhouses and in test plots is higher when technosoil with bacteria is added.
Retos Colaboración programme
Total budget: 691.124,35 €
Contribution: 224.073,87 €
Division of Agrifood and Processes
Natural resources projects:
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
RBAN GreenUP objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The Life-EQUINOX project has developed a new method that allows asphalt roads to “capture” NOx in the atmosphere, thanks to a chemical reaction that uses solar radiation and titanium dioxide.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.