Application of Nature-Based Solutions for local adaptation of educational and social buildings to Climate Change
Climate change is now recognised as one of the most serious environmental, social and economic challenges facing the world. Implementing measures that enhance resilience and enable sustainable development can accelerate adaptation to climate change.
Over the coming decades climate change will add to the pressure on Europe’s schools and colleges as well as its social service centres. The impacts of climate change, such as heat waves and changes in annual and seasonal rainfall, are affecting the health and well-being of children and elderly people who are the main users.
- The overall objective of the LIFE-myBUILDINGisGREEN project is to contribute to increasing the resilience of social buildings and educational centres by implementing nature-based solutions as prototypes of climate adaptation and improved well-being.
- Installation and implementation of 4 prototypes based on nature in facades and partition walls, roofs and roofs, exterior surfaces and car parks of each selected pilot building.
- Impact assessment of the implemented NBS with the aim of verifying and evaluating the importance of these measures as alternative solutions of climate adaptation in buildings.
- LCA and Carbon Footprint.
- Nature-based solutions applied to three pilot buildings, including the drawing up of construction projects and the monitoring of the climatic parameters;
- 20% reduction of CO2 emissions and 7% reduction of NOx at the project sites; Collection of 2.700 m3 of rainfall;
- 50% reduction of the irrigation water consumption for each building;
- 50% reduction of energy costs for cooling and 10% for heating.
Video presenttion of the project:
Natural resources projects:
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
RBAN GreenUP objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
SUSTRA-TEC has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The Life-EQUINOX project has developed a new method that allows asphalt roads to “capture” NOx in the atmosphere, thanks to a chemical reaction that uses solar radiation and titanium dioxide.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.