In the strategy for air quality developed by the Spanish Ministry of Environment, air subjects are already mentioned as a serious pollution issue that affects Spain and the rest of Europe. In the last years, the higher traffic volume and emissions from housing heating have caused an increase in the concentration of NOx (NO and NO2).
It is in this framework that the Project Life-EQUINOX (LIFE12 ENV/ES/000749) has been developed. The main idea of the proposal is to develop the concept of “new anti-polluting roads” with application inside the cities. Combined with new management structures, urban traffic control and other measures, it will help reduce nitrogen oxides concentration in urban environments, as stressed by Directive 2008/50/EC.
- The general objective of the project is to evaluate in a precise way a treatment system of application on asphalt paving for the elimination of Nitrogen Oxide (NOX) in the urban environments.
- Develop a methodology to assess the photocatalytic treatment in real environments.
- To analyze the system under an environmental and socio-economical point of view through the obtained data within the project.
- Selection of locations for the implementation of the FENIX system.
- Installation and evaluation of the sensor network.
- Performing the test sections.
- Analysis of the results.
- Environmental impact assessment of project actions (LCA and Carbon Footprint).
- A new methodology was developed in order to assess pilot applications of photocatalytic materials in real urban environments. This procedure was designed in order to be able to identify the differences between the situation before and after the application of the product. Following this procedure, some reductions in the NO2 concentration were found between periods before and after the application of the product, although they are not considered statistically significant.
Natural resources projects:
NEMO aims to create a turn-key solution through which new systems are integrated into existing infrastructure to empirically measure emissions and noise emitted by individual vehicles
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
The project seeks competitive positioning of regional companies in the field of Nature Based Solutions (NBS).
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
RBAN GreenUP objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
SUSTRA-TEC has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.