URBAN GreenUP is a project funded under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 programme. Its objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects, improve air quality and water management, as well as to increase the sustainability of our cities through innovative nature-based solutions.
Three runner cities – Valladolid, Liverpool and Izmir – will validate and demonstrate the effectiveness of the URBAN GreenUP methodology. 5 follower cities, Mantova, Ludwigsburg, Medellin, Chengdu and Binh Dinh-Quy Nhon, will set up their own Renaturing Urban Plans to replicate the Project strategy.
- The URBAN GreenUP project will improve the quality of life in urban areas, raise awareness of the importance of preserving the environment among citizens, generate new market opportunities for European companies internationally and promote the creation of transnational networks and synergies .
- Develop and demonstrate a replicable renaturation methodology
- Involve citizens, local authorities and stakeholders in the co-design of their city renewal plans
- Promote the creation of a global NBS market and support the EU’s international cooperation
- Implement more than 100 different NBS in the three leading cities.
- Through the more than 100 NBS to be implemented, it is expected to achieve a wide variety of impacts related to better rainwater management, reduce the heat island effect, carbon sequestration from the atmosphere and avoid CO2 emissions among other impacts that are also related to social justice and a better distribution of urban spaces.
Natural resources projects:
NEMO aims to create a turn-key solution through which new systems are integrated into existing infrastructure to empirically measure emissions and noise emitted by individual vehicles
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
SUSTRA-TEC has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The Life-EQUINOX project has developed a new method that allows asphalt roads to “capture” NOx in the atmosphere, thanks to a chemical reaction that uses solar radiation and titanium dioxide.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.