In the agricultural sector half of residual biomass is wasted and that is used finds its way to low-mid-value applications; feedstock is challenging to upcycle due to its variable makeup and supply fluctuations.
Agricultural side streams -olives, wine,chicory and onions- are rich in bioactive compounds (BAC) and have antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. Their full potential has yet to be realised, due to a lack of technologies that preserve the complexity and functionality of these BAC.
The project aims to develop a benign, efficient and sustainable process to address this challenge. It will use a novel pre-treatment followed by green extraction, maximising efficiency and preserving the qualities of the polyphenols. The ultimate goal is to see these used in pharma and food products.
- To develop a benign, efficient and sustainable process to extract polyphenolic bioactive compounds for high-value applications.
- Economical, to develop high-value applications with high product prices, new business models and will imporved income stream for farmers.
- Social, to develop high-value products for pharma, cosmeceutical, nutraceutical and fucntional foods.
- Environmental, to make use of biomass for higher-value products, thus decreasing of GHGs.
- Feedstock inventory, characterization, conditioning and supply chain development.
- Technology lab-scale development and verification.
- Technology upscale and validation at TRL 4/5.
- Characterization of the bioingredients activities for their use in pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, cosmeceuticals and functional food products.
- Techno-economical and environmental assessment, standardization.
- Dissemination and exploitation, innovation outreach.
- Establishing a new cross-sectoral interconnection between feedstock auppliers, technology developers, end -users and final consumers.
- Developing 8 value chains with 13 potential products.
- Validating 12 innovative technologies for processing specific agri side streams.
- Demonstrating consumer products prototypes at laboratory scale including pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, cosmeceutical, functional fibres and colourants.
Total budget: 3,902,69€
Duration: June 2021 – May 2024
Division Agrofood and Processes
Natural resources projects
Adaptation to the climate change through the prevention and management of the landscape exposed to huge forestry fires in cross-border rural areas between Spain and Portugal.
NEMO aims to create a turn-key solution through which new systems are integrated into existing infrastructure to empirically measure emissions and noise emitted by individual vehicles
LIFE myBUILDINGisGREEN provides Nature-based solutions for the local adaptation of education and social buildings in the face of Climate Change
The NBS-Lab project research on the functional use of natural resources to solve environmental problems arising from current climate change and ecosystem deterioration of urban and peri-urban areas.
The project seeks competitive positioning of regional companies in the field of Nature Based Solutions (NBS).
El Proyecto LIFE ALCHEMIA busca eliminar la presencia de radiactividad natural, uno de los retos actuales del agua de consumo humano.
REMESOL aims to recover depleted soils with low agricultural production by applying artificial soils based on mixtures of waste, by-products and products.
LIFE GySTRA will provide the most effective solution for this problem, creating a global system to precisely quantify vehicle emissions in real driving situations, not only to control them, but to support the creation of a policy to achieve its reduction
RBAN GreenUP objective is the development, application and replication of Renaturing Urban Plans in a European and non-European cities with the aim to mitigate the climate change effects
POCTEP ESMIMET generates a network of scientific-technical knowledge and R & D & I around the development of metal mining capabilities that allow the development of regional and joint activities, projects and initiatives of high added value in different areas of I + D + i.
SUSTRA-TEC has developed innovative technological substrates with techno-soil characteristics, providing as a novel aspect the self-fertilizing capacity and the capture of atmospheric pollutants.
MSP-REFRAM will address these challenges by creating of a common multi-stakeholder platform in order to support the implementation of the EIP on Raw Materials.
The FERTINOVO project develop intelligent fertilizers through the valorization of by-products derived from the poultry multiplication activity of the laying sector.
The LIFE BATTLE CO2 Project has developed an innovative process, in which the use of biomass as an alternative fuel allows a decrease in CO2 emissions and enhances the development of low carbon processes.
The Life-EQUINOX project has developed a new method that allows asphalt roads to “capture” NOx in the atmosphere, thanks to a chemical reaction that uses solar radiation and titanium dioxide.
The technique developed in the LIFE DIOXDETECTOR project for the quantification of PCDDs / PCDFs will represent a revolution compared to other traditional techniques, due to multiple innovative aspects such as the reduction of both sampling and analysis times and the reduction of the costs of analysis, among others.
SHBUIDINGS develops a degradation prevention system that at the same time serves for the complete management of historic buildings, using advances in sensoring, Internet of things (IoT) and cloud computing, providing objective criteria for decision-making on actions to be carried out in the building where that system is deployed.
BIOSELENER develops functional systems for the supply of solid biomass for energy purposes, based on the selective zonal implantation of agroforestry crops.