More than 20 years working for the Food and Beverage Industry endorse the CARTIF Food Area, which offers service tailored to the needs of the process and product, identifying consumer demand, adapting to the market and anticipating trends in health matters.
The work of this area is mainly aimed at the development of products in the framework of healthy and sustainable food, whose team works accompanying companies in the complete path of projects, from the generation of ideas and its implementation until obtaining the fruits of research, development and innovation.
- Development of experimental extrusions tests.
- Reformulation of new foods, improvement of nutritional quality.
- Valoriztion of food by-products.
- Food and health: targeted nutrition, functional products, reformulation, clean label, ingredient processing and modification of dietary fiber structure.
- Incorporation of agri-food by-products in human and animal food products.
- Incorporation of new protein and bioactive sources to increase health in aquaculture.
- Food security, new protein sources, protein texturing (insects, meat and fish substitutes).
- Blanco, B. De subproductos a productos a través de la extrusión. Revista Alimentaria, marzo 2019.
- Hidalgo, D., Mussons, M., Martín-Marroquín, J.M., Corona, Antolín, G., Combined remediation and protein production using microalgae growth on waste bakery products. Waste and Biomass Valorization (2018). 9(12) 2413-2422 ISSN: 1877-2641.
- Blanco. B. Estudio de la tecnología de extrusión para la valorización de subproductos vegetales y nuevas aplicaciones de leguminosas como ingredientes para productos para alimentación humana (2017). Trabajo de Tesis Doctoral.
- Blanco, B., Antolín, G., Effect of the incorporation of grape pomace into ready-to-eat extruded snacks. (Oral presentation). 9th International Congress Flour-Bread 17/11th Croatian Congress of Cereal Technologists. Opatija (Croacia) 2017. Proceedings ISSN 1848-2554.
- Blanco, B., Acebes, J., Antolín, G., Effect of the incorporation of brewer´s spent grain into extruded snacks. Poster presented at 9th International Congress Flour-Bread 17/11th Croatian Congress of Cereal Technologists). Opatija (Croacia) 2017. ISSN 1848-2554.
- On-line prediction of sodium content in vacuum packed dry-cured ham slices by non-invasive near infrared spectroscopy. Meat Science, V126, 29-35 (2017).
- Campos, M. I. (2015). Aplicación de la tecnología NIRS para la determinación de sodio y parámetros implicados en el proceso industrial del jamón curado (2015). Trabajo de Tesis Doctoral.
- De Luis, D. A., De la Fuente, B., Izaola, O., Conde, R., Gutiérrez, S., Morillo, M., & Torres, C. T., Double blind randomized clinical trial controlled by placebo with an alpha linoleic acid and prebiotic enriched cookie on risk cardiovascular factor in obese patients. Nutricion hospitalaria, 26(4), 827-833 (2011).
Alberto Moral Quiza
Head of Agrifood & Processes Division
Belén Blanco Espeso
Head of Food Area
Explore new vegetable protein sources, mainly native legume species from Castilla y León region which, together with the inclusion of agri-food by-products and by means of using technologies such extrusion cooking and texturization, allow the generation of innovative and alternative-to-meat products with nutritional, functional and imporved organoleptic characteristics.
IN-PACT will study the sustainable innovation and innovative practices among the agri-food supply chain in the european union, to respond to how we are in the transition trend towards a more sustainable food system.
FUSILLI project focuses on supporting cities to facilitate their transition towards more sustainable food systems, in line with Food2030 priorities. Combines the expertise of 34 partners from 13 countries including cities, universities, SMEs, NGOs and industries.
The “COLOR” project is a collaborative business initiative aimed at providing solutions to one of the most important needs of the food sector today: the reduction of acrylamide in industrially processed foods.
Application of new technologies on the development of a nutritionally improved iberian bacon. Reducing the sodium content in the formulation and limiting nitrites/nitrates.
INBEC Project try to promote and develop a sustainable economy through innovation and business cooperation. To this end, it is proposed to use a methodology that maximizes the potential of the Bioeconomy.
The INPULSE Operating Group (GO_INPULSE) was created to strengthen the cultivation of legumes in Spain and reduce the external dependence of protein for feed through the joint work of different actors.
ALTERNFEED aims to obtain sustainable alternatives to the use of fishmeal and fish oil or Krill in the manufacture of aquaculture feed giving added value to several alternative ingredients at the same time, in order to take advantage of the characteristics of each and its synergies.
GO_INSECT investigate the possibilities of insects as a source of alternative and sustainable protein for food and identify the necessary requirements that ensure the technical-economic viability of projects related to industrial breeding of insects
The progress of studies in this area, will allow to specify diets based on the specific requirements of each person and will allow to determine a personalized nutrition for populations with common characteristics, particular groups and individuals