The CITyFiED European project, co-financed by the European Commission under the Seventh Framework Program, aims to develop an integrated strategy to adapt existing cities to more sustainable and smart cities.
This strategy focuses on reducing the energy demand of the residential building stock and greenhouse gas emissions, along with increasing the use of renewable energy sources. This development is complemented by an extensive demonstration activity in the cities of Laguna de Duero (Spain), Lund (Sweden) and Soma (Turkey).
- Development of innovative and efficient methodologies for planning, replication and implementation of interventions in urban areas.
- Large-scale demonstration action in the cities of Laguna de Duero (Spain), Lund (Sweden) and Soma (Turkey).
- Maximization of the replicability of the project through the active participation of the CITyFiED network of cities.
- Exploitation and dissemination of the project results to promote awareness and commitment to sustainability.
- Energy efficient building retrofitting.
- Integration of renewable energy sources (photovoltaic, solar thermal, heat pump, biomass).
- ICT monitoring platform.
- Social acceptance and citizen participation.
Based on a citizen-centric approach, CITyFiED has successfully implemented three large demonstration actions for the energy efficient retrofitting of 190,462 m2, involving 2,067 dwellings and more than 5,700 citizens, who have directly benefited from the project. CITyFiED has mobilized 37.8 M€, contributing to reduce the energy consumption up to 35%, lower greenhouse gas emissions (savings of 2,453 tCO2 / year), greater use of renewable energy and high social acceptance.
- Ayuntamiento de Laguna de Duero
- DEMIR ENERJI
- Istanbul Teknik Universitesi
- IVL Svenska Miljoeinstitutet
- Kraftringen Energi AB
- Lund Kommun
- Lunds Kommuns Fastighets
- MIR Unique Solutions
- Soma Beledyyesi
- Steinbeis 2i GmbH
- 3IA Ingeniería
Video presentation of the project:
Smart Cities projects:
ATELIER is a demonstration project whose main objective is the design, implementation and validation of Positive Energy Districts (PEDs) in Amsterdam and Bilbao
MAKING-CITY’s main objective is to achieve low-carbon cities thanks to the development of strategies aimed at transforming the urban energy system.
MAtchUP is a demonstration project whose main objective is the implementation of innovative technologies in the energy, mobility and ICT sectors
The mySMARTLife project seeks to create sustainable and ecological cities, increasing energy efficiency, the use of renewable energy and reducing CO2 emissions.
Nature4Cities’ objective is to improve decision-making in cities with collaborative nature-based models that can be integrated into urban planning in cities.
SmartEnCity aims at a comprehensive sustainable urban regeneration model based on innovative technological solutions for energy, transport and ICTs
REMOURBAN’s objective is to develop and validate in three lighthouse cities (Valladolid-Spain, Nottingham-UK and Tepebaşı-Turkey) an urban, holistic and replicable regeneration model that facilitates the process of transforming urban environments into more sustainable and intelligent areas.