CO2SMOS project propose an innovative solution to develop new technologies based on processes for the conversion of biogenic CO2 and renewable raw materials into high value-added (bio)chemical products for chemistry sector and bio-based industries. For this purpose, is set as an objective to develop an integrated platform of technologies that combine innovative processes of biotechnology, electrochemistry and cathalytic base, supported in the use of renewable sources and green hydrogen for its application on the development of new polymers of high benefits, biodegradable materials and/or biocompostable, contributing to the improvement of the competitivity and sustainability of the sector, through decarbonization and development of high benefits materials.
- Development of new technologies for the CO2 conversion into high added-value chemistry products.
- Development of new bio-products and design of an integrated process with zero green house emissions for tis application on the bio-based industries value-chain.
- Creation of new business models and value chains on the chemistry sector and bio-industries based on the capture and utilisation of biogenic CO2 to obtain consume products.
- Improvement of the technological competitivity and sustainability of bio-based industries and chemistry sector.
- Integration of green hydrogen on the value chain of the chemistry and bio-based industry.
- Technical, financial and administrative coordination of the project.
- Development of bioprocesses and bioproducts: gas-fermentation of CO2/H2 and synthesis gas for the obtention of C2-C4 chemistry procuts.
- Dvelopment of bioprocesses and bioproducts: aerobic bioacetate fermentation and alternative sustrates for the obtention of high added value products.
- Techno-economical analysis, possible replicability and transference to the industrial sector.
- Support on the implementation of dissemination and communication plan.
- Correct technical and financial deimplementation of the project.
- New advanced CO2/H2 fermentation-gas bioprocess and synthesis gas for acetate and butanediol production
- New fermentation bioprocess on liquid phase for the obtention of polyhydroxyalkanoate.
- Preliminary techno-economic feasibility study of new CO2 conversion processes and technologies.
- Scientific and technical publications, conference papers, potential patents.
- Advance fermentation process development (with sustrate in liguid and/or gas phase).
- Research in thermochemical processes and intensification of pressure processes for the transformation of plastics, biomasses and recalcitrant waste into value-added products.
- Development of bio-based materials with applications in adhesive polymers and coatings with special properties.
Total Budget: 6,918,240 €
CARTIF Budget: 855,000 €
Duration: 01/05/2021 – 30/04/2025
Desirée Durán Martín
Agrifood and Processes Division
The project focuses on the development of an integrated process for the production of green hydrogen and hydrogen carrier molecules (energy carriers) for use as renewable fuels to replace current fossil fuels.
H2METAMO focuses on the development of compact and efficient plants for the generation of hydrogen carrier molecules. It has two main lines: one to generate methane and one to produce ammonia.
WoodLi project focuses on the development of bioadhesives for use in the manufacture of wood-based panels used, among others, in the construction sector. The bioadhesive of the WoodLi project will differ from commercial adhesives in that it will be of renewable origin and will not present toxicity problems
VALOMASK project aims at the design and development of sustainable management of single use face masks in the context of the COVID-19 outbreak. The initiative arise due to the exponential increase in medical waste generated during the pandemic.
Frontsh1p will contribute to further the green transition in the Polish region of Lódzkie. A region that on the one hand, traditionally heavily relies on coal extraction, and on the other hand, has pioneered circular (bio)economy since the early 2000s. The region has always been in the forefront of innovation and has become one of the leading regions in the field of circular economy.
Reduce GHG emissions from the Bio-Based Industries by developing 5 innovative and integrated technologies based on 3catalytic processes. It will transform waste CO2 from 2 bio-based industries into 5 added-value chemicals: glyoxylic acid, lactic acid, furan dicarboxylic methyl ester…
DELOREAN aims to obtain new raw materials from the treatment of waste generated in a critical sector in the región, the automotive industry. The three wastes investigated (tires, lubricating oils and polypropylene) are generated in high quantities and their polluting nature makes it necessary to develop new ways for their management and use.
BioSFerA aims to develop a cost-effective interdisciplinary technology to produce sustainable aviation and maritime fuels. The overall process, combining thermochemical, biological and thermocatalytic parts is based on the gasification of biomass and other biogenic waste and the 2-stage fermentation of the produced syngas.
The aim of LIFE LANDFILL BIOFUEL is to demonstrate the technical performance of a cost effective solution based on the implementation of new exploitation techniques of the waste cells to enhance the biogas production
The BIOMOTIVE project aims to demonstrate the production of new high-performance biomaterials (thermoplastic polyurethane, foams and fibres) for the automotive sector, with the objective of revolutionising the market.
The ZEOCAT-3D project addresses the conversion of methane, from natural gas and biogas, into aromatic hydrocarbons of high added value and easily transportable
REPLACE aims at developing new methodologies to try to solve a critical environmental problem, the destruction of plastic wastes proceeding from petroleum.
LIFE Biomass C+ aims to demonstrate improvements in climate mitigation strategies through the production of sustainable biofuel.
AQUAMUNDAM pursues an improvement in the sustainable management of the integral water cycle, for this the development and demonstration of both methodologies and a modular information system that facilitates inter-administrative communication and of different agents with competence in the integral management of water is contemplated
REHAP aims to strengthen the European bio-economy industry by creating novel materials from agricultural and forestry waste, and considering how they can be used commercially in the green building sector.
The VALOR-PLUS supports the realisation of sustainable, economically viable closed loop integrated biorefineries through the development of new knowledge, (bio-)technologies and products that enable valorisation of key biorefinery by-products.
The FT BIOREFINERY Project consists in developing a technology that allows obtaining 2nd generation liquid biofuels (synthetic diesel) and electrical energy, through the application of gasification and co-gasification processes, of different types of solid and / or liquid waste ( herbaceous biomass, lignocellulosic, glycerin, etc.)
The BIORECOS Project aims to design and build a demonstration plant of a modular nature that allows, through pyrolysis, the production of charcoal and / or active coal, as well as the generation of electrical energy.