“Low-carbon society: an enhanced modelling tool for the transition to sustainability” (LOCOMOTION) project, aims to design set of IAMs (Integrated Assessment Models) to provide policymakers and relevant stakeholders with a modelling and evaluation system to assess the feasibility, effectiveness and costs of different sustainability policy options, to identify the most effective transition pathways towards a low-carbon society.
The result will be a robust and reliable tool based on the system dynamic modelling of relevant environmental, energetic, economic, social, technological and biophysical variables that allow the diagnostic and scenario assessment.
The IAM model will be open-source and will provide decision-support, education and social awareness.
- Improving accuracy level and detail through low-scale modelling
- Integrating functionalities from other IAMs and models comparing results
- Improving scenario assessment by integrating demand management policies
- Developing a modelling framework that better represents uncertainty
- Ensure the usability of the IAMs through tools and a simulation games
- Promoting the effective exploitation of the IAMs, the results dissemination and their effective communication
- Design of a set of IAM models integrating different disciplines using a modular design and system dynamics. The disciplines covered will be: economy and financial, population and society, environment, energy, resources, transportation and technology
- Design, analysis and simulation of policies and scenarios
- Design and development of tools tailored to each type of stakeholder: policy-makers, civil society and experts, and a simulation game for education purposes
- Set of open-access national, regional and global IAMs to support EU climate policy through the design of energy transition pathways, testing and developing policies.
- Supporting EU contribution to major international scientific assessments, such as the IPCC reports and dissemination of the results.
- Graphical user interface (GUI) for policymakers and experts.
- Web-based awareness tool for civil society.
- Educational simulation game