CARTIF PROJECTS

LIFE COLRECEPS

Decreased use of expanded polystyrene, non-biodegradable material

Description

Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a plastic material used in several sectors such as packaging or building. One of the most important issues is its recycling since EPS is a petroleum product and is not biodegradable.
In Spain, 80% of the EPS waste finishes up at landfills (about 32.000 t/year), and the remaining 20% is incinerated. The amount of EPS waste that was generated in Europe in 2010 was 1.6 million tones.
COLRECEPS project will also fulfil with environmental policy and legislation of the European Union through the implementation of Directive 2008/98/ES on waste management, reducing the amount of waste that is put in landfills and increasing recycling in a more environmentally sustainable.

 

Objectives

  • Implementation of a prototype demonstration plant to recycle 100% of the EPS waste and obtain EPS pearls with which new recycled EPS products will be manufactured.
  • Get a reliable data about the generation of EPS in the urban zone of Valladolid.
  • Establish a logistic system for collecting and treating EPS waste.
  • To treat more than a 50% of the EPS waste generated in the urban zone of Valladolid.

Actions

  • Study the amount of EPS waste generated.
  • Create a proper system for the collection, logistic and management of the EPS waste.
  • Construction a demonstration prototype plant for the recycling of EPS waste.
  • Obtain a high-quality and optimal EPS pearls.
  • Manufacture of new products using this EPS recycled which will tested by and end-user.

Expected results

  • Valorisation of the 100% of the EPS waste introduce in the plant.
  • Building of a prototype plant for the recycling of 500 kg of EPS waste daily, avoiding 146.000 kg/year of EPS waste in landfills and 36.500 kg/year of EPS waste incinerated.
  • Obtaining 0,85 kg of recycled EPS for each kg of EPS waste treated.
  • Manufacture of 25.500 packaging boxes made with 40% EPS recycled and 60% EPS virgin.

Partners:

Video presenttion of the project:

LIFE PROGRAMME

LIFE12 ENV/ES/000754

Programa LIFE

Total budget:1,201,933 €
European Contribution: 50%
Duration: 01/10/2013 – 30/06/2017

Team

Alicia Aguado Pesquera

Division of Agrifood and Processes

aliagu@cartif.es

Networking

Circular Economy projects:

NUTRI2CYCLE

NUTRI2CYCLE

NUTRI2CYCLE addresses the current gaps in the N, P and C cycles of different European agricultural systems and the related environmental problems by implementing optimized management systems whilst having a positive trade–off with productivity, quality and environmental impact.

read more
HOUSEFUL

HOUSEFUL

HOUSEFUL proposes an innovative paradigm shift towards the circular economy in the housing sector. The main objective is to develop and demonstrate an integrated systemic service (HOUSEFUL Service) composed of 11 circular solutions co-created by the agents involved in the housing value chain.

read more
LIFE PAVEtheWAySTE

LIFE PAVEtheWAySTE

The LIFE PAVEtheWAySTE project wants to facilitate the implementation of the Waste Framework Directive in remote areas by allowing local and regional authorities to improve the operation of their municipal recycling systems and thereby pave the way towards high efficiency of the resources.

read more
LIFE VALPORC

LIFE VALPORC

The goal of the LIFE + VALPORC is to demonstrate a sustainable alternative to the management of pig carcasses and manure, focusing on the environmental problems derived from its current management and valorizing these wastes by transforming them into biofuels (biogas and biodiesel) and organic fertilizers,

read more
RECALZA

RECALZA

RECALZA proposes to develop a chemical recycling process of the generated polyurethane foam residues, to obtain the polyol again and re-manufacture new products (recycled soles) that meet the requirements for the footwear sector.

read more
CONREPOL

CONREPOL

The CONREPOL project will evaluate both chemical procedures based on the use of compounds that increase the surface polarity (silane coupling agents) of the waste and physical treatments with the same objective.

read more
GREEN-CAR

GREEN-CAR

The GREEN CAR ecodesign Project applies the ecodesign methodology to several components of the “electric vehicle” system: batteries, converter, charging points, conditioning systems and auxiliary systems from renewable sources

read more
LIFE RESCATAME

LIFE RESCATAME

RESCATAME represents a new system for the sustainable management of traffic through the use of models that predict pollution levels, which are supported by data collected by the network of air quality sensors, and that can help to execute a rapid action.

read more
Share This